David Moyes questions Manuel Lanzini charge

David Moyes questions Manuel Lanzini charge

West Ham manager David Moyes is surprised by the Football Association’s decision to charge Manuel Lanzini for diving.

But Moyes admits West Ham are yet to decide if they will appeal against the Argentinian’s two-match ban before Tuesday’s deadline of 6pm.

Lanzini won a penalty against Stoke on Saturday after he was challenged by Erik Pieters, with Hammers captain Mark Noble converting from the spot to give his side a 1-0 lead.

The decision infuriated Stoke manager Mark Hughes, who is now under even more pressure following their 3-0 home defeat.

Moyes on Lanzini diving charge: “I'm a bit surprised. The referee was 10 yards from the ball, nothing was blocking his vision…I think they're going against the referee.” pic.twitter.com/HnCpdU0DFz

— Tom Allnutt (@tomallnuttPA) December 18, 2017

Lanzini is the second Premier League player to be charged for the “successful deception of a match official” – in this case referee Graham Scott – after Everton striker Oumar Niasse was the first to be penalised last month.

“I am a bit surprised because of the incident in the game,” Moyes said. “The referee was 10 yards from the ball with nothing blocking his vision.

“It is clear to see the defender makes an attempt to go for the ball and doesn’t get it. From my point of view, they are going against the referee, whoever the panel were.”

Lanzini is now set to be suspended for West Ham’s Carabao Cup quarter-final against Arsenal on Tuesday, as well their crunch basement battle with Newcastle in the Premier League on Saturday.

Mark Hughes
Mark Hughes was adamant Lanzini had dived (Mike Egerton/PA)

On whether West Ham will appeal, Moyes said: “We are going to have a talk about it this afternoon and decide what we are going to do. We will look at it.”

Any appeal would be heard by a separate, independent disciplinary commission and there is no risk of Lanzini’s ban being increased if the charge is upheld.

The FA will also complete the fast-track process in time for Tuesday’s match, although Lanzini is likely to be rested anyway for the Carabao Cup clash at Emirates Stadium.

New this season, a simulation charge only comes when there is clear evidence a player has fooled an official into winning a penalty or getting an opponent sent off, either via a straight red card or second yellow.

WHam have nothing to lose by appealing. Would be heard in time for Tues match (although Lanzini likely to be rested) and no chance of ban being increased.

— Tom Allnutt (@tomallnuttPA) December 18, 2017

In Monday’s Daily Mail, ex-referee Graham Poll wrote that he thought Lanzini would avoid a charge, describing it as “a bit of a dive but not an outrageous” one.

“I’m sorry if that doesn’t make sense but that’s how hard it is to referee players such as Manuel Lanzini,” Poll added.

Speaking to reporters after Saturday’s game, Hughes said: “I’ve seen it again. The guy’s dived. He’s drawn the challenge. He’s a clever player.

“It was clearly a dive and the ref’s seen something that no-one else saw. All in all, it was a poor sequence of events for him and for us. It sounds like sour grapes when you talk about people getting punished retrospectively. It doesn’t help us now.”

Source: By PA Sport Staff

Please enable JavaScript to view the comments powered by Disqus.Original Article

Author

I play soccer since I am a little child. My passion was and will always be soccer that's why I created the website GlobalSoccer to spread my passion out to others...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: